Hi everyone! How are you ? Today i decided to make macarons, a french cookie type thing that costs a fortune to buy, looks gorgeous and tastes amazing! They are also extremely hard to make.. So here is the recipe I used, as well the mistakes I made, so that you can give it a go, and do those things right, you will hopefully have a little more success! If yours end up like mine, you need to know that they till taste great even if they are not quite as gorgeous as Maison Ladurée macarons.
First of all, I researched how to make these babies, I watched about 5 Youtube tutorials and read at least a dozen recipes. Then dug down deep into my (former-chef) mothers recipe book and found a recipe that I decided to trust as it had worked in the past.
Here is that famous recipe, along with the things I did wrong.
- 4 egg whites at room temperature.
- Food colouring
- 300g of icing sugar
- 140g of ground almonds
- Liquid vanilla extracts
- Raspberry jam for the filling.
Method : Preheat oven to 160° C on fan.
This must be followed perfectly or they will not work.
- Whisk your egg whites until peaks form. Add the icing sugar slowly, one tbsp at a time. Then add your food colouring, and vanilla extracts. Whisk until it forms glossy, thick peaks.
- Next gently fold in the almonds. This is where I went wrong, folded to much and they didn’t rise because there was less air in them.. At this point the consistency of the mix shouldn’t have changed that much.
- Now you are going to lay them on a tray, with baking paper on. Make sure the trays are not hot.
On one of the tutorials I watched it said to leave them out for 20 minutes, and to bang the tray on a flat surface to make any air bubbles rise and pop at the surface. I think if i hadn’t of done that, these would have been a huge disaster !
- Now put them in the oven for 20 minutes, I put the second batch in for less, because the first ones went golden. I suggest you put them in for about 14 minutes, make sure the tops look a bit hard but smooth, and hopefully for you they will be a bit more plump..
- Take them out and leave them to cool completely before trying to take them off the sheet. When they are cool, remove them very gently with a knife or spatula.
- Now put them in pairs according to size and spread jam on one half, and make a sandwich with the other half. Sounds pretty easy but yeah..
Good look to you! I am off to eat my not so pretty but delicious macarons, have a great day, and don’t forget to tell me about your experiences and if you liked this post!